For everything you wanted to know on building leadership and management, refer Shyam Bhatawdekar’s website: http://shyam.bhatawdekar.com/
(Refer our High Quality Management Encyclopedia “Management Universe” at: http://management-universe.blogspot.com/)
In Praise of Walking as an Exercise
For definition of exercise, what happens when you exercise and benefits of exercise, refer: (Exercises) http://exercises-plan.blogspot.com/
- All physical exercises can be classified as:
- Structured exercises.
- Non-structured exercises.
- Walking is a non-structured exercise.
- Walking is the best exercise in the world.
- Walking is one of the most effective exercises.
- It is the safest exercise.
- It gives you a sense of overall well being.
- It helps to reduce weight.
- It is a stress reliever.
- It improves the efficiency of lungs, heart and muscles.
- It improves the strengths of bones and joints.
- It keeps you generally fit.
- Most convenient.
- Free of cost- zero expenses.
- Fun thing if done in the company or alone.
- It does not require any special equipment.
- So, it does not require any special skills.
- So, it does not require prior training.
- Most flexible- can be done any time anywhere.
- Any one of any age can do walking as an exercise.
- Persons above 40 years of age and not in a habit of doing any exercises.
- Persons with heart ailments.
- Persons with high blood pressure.
- Persons becoming excessively breathless after light exertion.
- Persons who feel dizzy or faint like at times.
- Persons with bone or joint ailments.
- Persons with lack of confidence to carry out any physical exercises.
- Start with one kilometer on the first day and gradually increase it in steps and take it to around 5 to 8 kilometers after say, a couple of months. During this period, increase by 1 kilometer or so every week.
- Start with say 2 walks per week and take it to almost daily walks every day, after couple of months. During this period, increase the number of walks per week gradually.
- Walk on the first day may take 10 minutes and as you gradually increase the kilometers of walk, it may take gradually more time and as you reach 5 to 8 kilometers of walk after couple of months, it will take about 40 minutes to an hour.
- Brisk walk is recommended. It means that during the walk, you should reach the target heart rate. Target heart rate is calculated by using the formula given at the end of the page.
- Do not jump to 5 to 8 kilometers for 40 minutes to 1 hour every day on the first day or first week of walking. Go up in steps as described earlier.
- Do not try to reach the target heart rate only after you get into habit of walking at least 4 to 5 kilometers in around 40 minutes at least 5 days per week. You will be able to achieve that after over 2 months.
- Do some stretching exercises before walking.
- Thus, do the warm up for say, 3 to 5 minutes.
- After you finish walking, cool down by walking at slower pace for say, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Regularity in walking gives better results.
- Make you walking routine interesting by having company for walk with you or walk with your dog or listen to music while walking and change the venues /routes of walking etc.
- Walk should never have any specific purpose. Even if you started going out for walks with some laudable purpose of improving or maintaining your health or any such other purpose, forget about it totally while walking.
- Do not bother about the destination of the walk, just enjoy the process of walk, its very beauty. Immerse yourself into it completely.
- Do not brood over your worries or any other topics of your day to day mundane personal, family or professional life. Leave the worries and related thoughts behind.
- Enjoy the nature- sights, sounds and fragrances around you while you take a walk. Look at a flower, the trees, a bird, the clouds and feel the joy of life.
- Target heart rate = (220-your age) multiplied by 0.6 for beginners, 0.7 for somewhat practiced and 0.8 for the habitual ones.
- Example: for a person with 30 years age:
· Target heart rate = (220-30) multiplied by 0.6 = 114 for beginner
· Target heart rate = (220-30) multiplied by 0.7 = 133 for somewhat practiced person
· Target heart rate = (220-30) multiplied by 0.8 = 152 for the habitual one
- Never try to achieve these prescribed target heart rates in aerobics on the very first day of the exercises. Do it gradually over a period of say around 8 to 10 weeks.
The Book: "Health Essentials (Health Is Wealth)"
(You can obtain your e-copy of the book from the Nuubuu link http://nbuu.co/ds and the printed book from Amazon)
The famous saying “Health is Wealth” is not a cliché. Having good health is more valuable than having material wealth since you can’t enjoy the wealth without health. The fact is health itself is an important kind of wealth. Even if you do not possess much money or assets you can still be far happier being in great shape physically, emotionally and mentally if you possess the most important asset called “health”.
That’s the reason for bringing forth this book to benefit everyone and to remind about the things you can do to keep healthy throughout your life, not feel miserable and stay capable of creating and enjoying this wealth as well as other types of wealth.
The suggestions the authors have made in this book for keeping healthy are very simple, quite practical, most economical and easily understandable. The entire book has been written in a layman’s language keeping out all the difficult to understand jargons.
This book is based on collective native wisdom derived from close observations of the persons who lived happily and healthily till age 90 to 100 plus years. It should not be treated as a medical or professional prescription from a doctor or a nutrition expert or a physical trainer or any other professional health practitioner.
Authors (Shyam Bhatawdekar and Dr Kalpana Bhatawdekar) are top-notch business executives, successful entrepreneurs, highly sought after business and management consultants, eminent management gurus and scholars, authentic human behavior experts and prolific authors.
(Anger Management) http://controlling-anger.blogspot.com/
(Children’s Behavior Problems) http://child-behavior-problems.blogspot.com/
(Cholesterol Control) http://controlling-cholesterol.blogspot.com/
(Counseling: Psychological) http://counselingfamily.blogspot.com/
(Counseling: Psychological) http://counseling-family.blogspot.com/
(Cross Cultural Etiquette) http://cross-cultural-etiquette.blogspot.com/
(Executive Etiquette and Manners) http://executive-manners.blogspot.com/
(Family Counseling) http://family-harmony.blogspot.com/
(Health: Homeopathy) http://homeopathy-medicines.blogspot.com/
(Life Management: Competencies) http://knol.google.com/k/shyam-bhatawdekar/competency-matrix/6txz9nck6g3/4#
(Life Management: Effectiveness Management: HSoftware) http://knol.google.com/k/shyam-bhatawdekar/management-in-life-profession-family/6txz9nck6g3/3#
(Life management: I Am Liberated) http://knol.google.com/k/shyam-bhatawdekar/i-am-liberated/6txz9nck6g3/6#view
(Marriage Counseling) http://marriage-counsel.blogspot.com/
(Ownership on Job) http://job-ownership.blogspot.com/
(Parental Responsibilities) http://parental-responsibilities.blogspot.com/
(Qualities of Spouse) http://spouse-qualities.blogspot.com/
(Quit Smoking) http://quit-smoking-plan.blogspot.com/
(Self Development) http://managing-self.blogspot.com/
(Spiritual Quotient/Intelligence) http://spiritual-quotient.blogspot.com/
(Stress Management) http://managing-stress-strain.blogspot.com/
(Stress Management) http://management-of-stress.blogspot.com/
(Success in Life or Success) http://success-achievement.blogspot.com/
(Success in Life or Success) http://knol.google.com/k/shyam-bhatawdekar/success-in-life/6txz9nck6g3/14#view
(Swine Flu and Its Prevention) http://swine-flu-precaution.blogspot.com/
(Telephone Etiquette) http://telephone-etiquette.blogspot.com/
(Winners and Losers) http://winners-losers.blogspot.com/
Some More General Topics of Your Interest
(Home Page for All Home Tips) http://home-tips-tricks.blogspot.com/
(Entertainment: Movies) http://popular-movies.blogspot.com/
(Oscar Award Movies) http://oscar-award-movies.blogspot.com/
(Entertainment: Recommended Hindi Movies) http://unforgettable-hindi-movies.blogspot.com/
(Entertainment- Hindi Movies of Your Choice) http://hindi-movies-choice.blogspot.com/
(Plagiarized, Copied or Inspired Hindi Movies) http://copied-hindi-movies.blogspot.com/
(Health: Homeopathy) http://homeopathy-medicines.blogspot.com/
(Housekeeping at Home) http://5s-housekeeping-home.blogspot.com/
(How to Save Money) http://save-money-ideas.blogspot.com/ or http://knol.google.com/k/shyam-bhatawdekar/how-to-save-money/6txz9nck6g3/11#
(Jewelry Design) http://thejewellerydesigner.blogspot.com/
(Recipes: Easy to Cook) http://easytocook-recipes.blogspot.com/
(Recipes: Exotic) http://tastetherecipes.blogspot.com/
(Stories for Children) http://stories-children.blogspot.com/
(Travel and Sightseeing- India) http://india-tours-sightseeing.blogspot.com/
(Travel and Sightseeing- World) http://sightseeing-guide.blogspot.com/
(World Heritage Sites) http://world-heritage-spots.blogspot.com/
General Knowledge and Out of Box Ideas
(General Knowledge- GK) http://general-knowledge-gk.blogspot.com/
(General Knowledge- Top 5 of Everything) http://top-five-everything.blogspot.com/
(General Knowledge- Top 10 of Everything) http://top-ten-anything.blogspot.com/
(Out of Box Ideas) http://wow-idea.blogspot.com/
(Shyam Bhatawdekar’s Knols) http://knol.google.com/k/shyam-bhatawdekar/shyam-bhatawdekar/6txz9nck6g3/1#
(Running Commentary on the Run) http://running-comments.blogspot.com/